Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi Dictionary

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Game 1 & 2 Slipped Away


In an avalanche sort of way on the scoreboard.  I suited up for my first two footy matches last Saturday and got smashed.  We split up into three squads (Crows, Dockers, and Eagles) to play three intrasquad matches with each team playing the other two.  I played for what proved to be a disadvantaged Dockers team on the field and on the scoreboard.  We had no sub, an essentially immobile player toughing it out up front with a pulled hamstring, two first time ever players (one being me), and one player with improper footwear for the conditions (also me).  The field was pristine, but a persistent rain turned it into an ice rink for anyone without cleats.  I think I was the only one, and it showed.

We played 9 a side with three forwards, three midfield, and three defense.  I played forward the first half of the first game and unfortunately had an easy go because we got CRUSHED!  I only had two real goes at the ball as the Eagles kept possession deep and lit us up for 5 goals (6 points each) and 2 behinds (1 point each) while holding us scoreless.  I played defense for the second half and the entirety of the second game and we began to hold our own.  Still outscored and fighting heavy pressure in our own end throughout, but we got our shots in to maintain some respectability.

The game and conditions ... and possibly age ... took it's toll.  My complete inability to keep my feet left my legs, back, and rump the worse for wear through this whole last week.  There were countless awkward slides, falls, and tumbles to be had.  I felt like a newborn giraffe on an icy pond with all four legs splayed.  Not ideal when I'm one of the least flexible people I know.  Imagine my excitement when we did tackling drills at practice on Tuesday.  By then my swollen hand, strained fingers, and bruised bicep were good to go, but oh the legs.

With proper footwear and a bit of experience, I hope to have a better run this coming Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment